Vote for candidates supporting our heritage
Local Government has long played an important role in the protection of local heritage. Because of recent changes to planning laws which diminish community and individual input to planning and development decisions, we need Local Government representatives who will stand up to protect our heritage and give local communities a say in developments that affect them. We aksed 536 candidates with email addresses listed on the Local Government Association website the following questions:
1. Do you agree that the identification and protection of local heritage places is best done by local councils rather than DPTI (Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure)?
2. In your opinion has the current system of local heritage protection served your community well?
3. Do you agree that total demolition of registered local heritage places should not be allowed in development applications?
4. Should councils reject proposals to list local places of historic merit simply because an owner objects?
5. Should neighbours of local heritage listed buildings have a right of appeal on development applications that propose demolition?
6. Should buildings listed as Contributory Items in your council area receive better protection?
7. Do you agree that places proposed for listing by your council as Local Heritage or Contributory Items should be subject to review by DPTI? Or would reviews be more appropriately conducted by an independent source of expert advice?
8. Would you like to see your council work more closely with the National Trust of SA in protecting heritage, for example by signing up as one of the Trust’s Civic Partners?
9. What are your personal suggestions for improving the way your council handles heritage policy and planning?
10. Should councils actively encourage individuals to nominate places for consideration as local heritage?
Find out what 127 candidates who responded to the survey had to say here.
We encourage you to ask any local government candidates in your area the following questions about heritage protection
You can download the list of questions above here: Vote-1-for-your-local-heritage to discuss with candidates in your area.